The Work Permit is the oldest plan created to make if possible for foreigners wishing to work in Mauritius. This plan is handled and managed by the Ministry of Employment. Any application for a work permit must be accompanied, at the same time, by an application for Residence Permit to the Passport & Immigration Office.
Applying for a Work Permit
The application for a work permit is made at a different point in time, since the employee can enter the country only after obtaining the permit. The employer, either personally or through a consultant, is responsible for filing the application together with all necessary documents. The employee may transmit his / her copy (Fax / Scan) documents to his or her employer for transmission to the authorities - except for medical examinations which must be original. These are transmitted to the Ministry of Health for a temporary validation, the full validation being done at the arrival of the employee (to obtaining his work permit).
The criterias for one to be eligible for a work permit is as follows:
- Maximum salary of Rs45,000 per month
- Expertise not available in Mauritius (Specialist or number of positions with power not accessible on the Mauritian market. Ex: if a company wants to recruit 50 machinists and does not succeed, despite the publication of advertisements in newspapers).
- Founding position, essentially held by the promoter / investor (Managing Director)
Terms & Conditions
- The employee must not be present in Mauritius or undertake travel during the filing of the application and during his / her treatment
- The employer has an obligation to ensure the welfare of the employee throughout his stay
- The employer must provide a return ticket to the employee at the end of the contract
- The employer must also provide a bank guarantee or financial security equivalent to the employee's return ticket. This guarantee is provided to the Ministry of Employment
- The employer must observe all the conditions of the labor laws of Mauritius.